Re: Buster on Win 10 Problems

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 11:36:48 -0400
"Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have dual booted platforms in the past, and would prefer not to do
> so to solve the problems.
>
> These problems are not show stoppers, but rather annoying.

This kind of thing brings to mind the joke punch line: it's like a dog
singing, it isn't great, the wonder is that it happens at all.

I've never had much luck with emulations/APIs. I gave up on wine (maybe
it's better now) because so many things nearly worked. I've had trouble
with virtual machines with getting good enough access to the hardware.

If you need reliable use of two operating systems, dual boot is the
only fairly clean way. A half-way house is to install Linux to an
external drive and plug it in when you need it, that way you avoid any
issues with booting. I did this for a while with a (Linux) netbook,
because the first-generation hardwired SSD was tiny and appallingly
slow, even for reading. It was quite strange to plug in an external
(mechanical) drive and get a massive boost in performance.

--
Joe