Re: Buster on Win 10 Problems

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 11:36:48AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have dual booted platforms in the past, and would prefer not to do so to
> solve the problems.
>
> These problems are not show stoppers, but rather annoying.
>
> On 06/29/2021 10:29 AM, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> >
> > Have you investigated the possibility of Dual Booting?
> > it's a bit complicated, but it works.
> > Separate Disk Dive is best
> >
> > On 6/29/21 6:28 AM, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > >
> > > First, let me assure the list that I am not trying to ignite a flame war.
> > >
> > > I have a legitimate reason for installing Debian Buster on my
> > > Windows 10 laptop using Windows Subsystem Linux and X410. I have a
> > > very important application for my Computational Chemistry research
> > > program that has never been ported to Linux.
> > >
> > > After much thrashing about and hair pulling (little enough to begin
> > > with) I succeeded.
> > >
> > > However, there are several problems, minor but annoying. I�m using
> > > the xfe4 desktop.
> > >
> > > The Application Manager Logout function will only allow Logout;
> > > Restart and Shutdown are grayed out.

That may be because you can't "shutdown" in WSL2 - effectively, all you
can do is logout. Shutdown etc. are not permitted in WSL.

> > > On the System level, clicking on the Synaptic Package Manager entry
> > > in the pulldown manual  does not open the app; sudo synaptic in the
> > > Xfce Terminal opens the app and it is fully functional.

This may be a function of WSL "run one thng at a time@ way of thinking?
This may change with hte next update to Windows which does promise GUI
applications mediated via Microsoft's own Linux distribution.

> > > I hope to receive advise from this list. I shudder to think of
> > > having to query MS, even if I got an answer it would be very murky
> > > and impossible to implement.

YOu might also want to try #debian-wsl on IRC, though that's very low traffic
indeed and mostly about packaging WSL.

> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
> > >
> > > (614)312-7528