Re: Buster on Win 10 Problems

On 06/29/2021 11:12 AM, Marco M�ller wrote:
On 29.06.21 15:28, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
First, let me assure the list that I am not trying to ignite a flame war.

I have a legitimate reason for installing Debian Buster on my Windows 10 laptop using Windows Subsystem Linux and X410. I have a very important application for my Computational Chemistry research program that has never been ported to Linux.

After much thrashing about and hair pulling (little enough to begin with) I succeeded.

However, there are several problems, minor but annoying. I�m using the xfe4 desktop.

The Application Manager Logout function will only allow Logout; Restart and Shutdown are grayed out.

On the System level, clicking on the Synaptic Package Manager entry in the pulldown manual does not open the app; sudo synaptic in the Xfce Terminal opens the app and it is fully functional.

(...)

I will not be able to fully answer your question, I have only an idea for you which might or might not help you to advance.

I suppose you are using the WSL2.
When I recently have had a look at it, the first mayor thing of importance which I noticed was, correct me if I observed it wrong, that it is using a Linux kernel from Microsoft and not the kernel from Debian (or a kernel from Ubuntu, or openSUSE, or Red Hat etc.), although you installed the "Debian app". Well, the Debian app is kind of a collection of commands as typically found at the command line after a bare minimal Debian install directly to the hardware, and a collection of Debian alike configuration files to make the by MS provided kernel and the commands pulled in by the Debian app to behave somewhat as you would expect it from a Debian OS install. But this does not change that the kernel from Microsoft does not use systemd. Maybe the grayed out Restart and Shutdown buttons are a consequence of this?

Good Luck!
Marco.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Yes, you are quite correct with regard to the provence of the kernel.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net