Re: Resolved: Can MATE DE be attractive as well as functional

On 6/27/21 3:52 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/26/2021 03:30 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
Can icons placed on desktop be in a regular geometric pattern.
I think it tries to do that. But over the years I've had differing monitor geometries. Does operator have any control over where next icon is placed?

Just curious ;/
TIA

I received an off-list reply saying, in part:

"Organise desktop by name" from the desktop (right click) menu results
in a broadly rectangular formation of icons, but doesn't seem to impose
alphabetical order as might be expected, nor indeed any afaics, at least
in Buster.  You may know this already, and the "keep aligned" option
(to keep new icons in the pattern or some future point of it), though the space between the desktop left edge and the top and left of the first icon
row is unequal.

That solved my problem.

Interesting.  I just tried that, first the "keep aligned" toggle and then the "organize by name" function. at first it seemed OK, a widely spaced grid and first folders (and shortcuts to folders) alphabetically, then files alphabetically. then I deleted a few and created some new ones. The results were not as expected...

"keep aligned" needs to be run again if you want that pattern. I do not.

yes, it would be handy to have new icons fall in a logical and predictable location.

* perhaps a feature request upstream is in order.