Re: Font color selection in MATE terminal

On Tue 22 Jun 2021 at 08:35:42 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/22/2021 08:24 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 08:14:08AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > I have vision problems.
> > > I *MUST* have black on white text in all cases.
> > > The program I'm running gives out colored text.
> > > The MATE Help screen is NOT helpful.
> > > Help please.
> >
> > What's the program? For some Xterms, the default is to colorize
>
> It's the local version of cht.sht being discussed elsewhere on this list.
>
> The structure of the Edit->Profile Preferences suggests I can override
> what ever dumb choices the programmer made.
>
> I've encountered this with other programs.
> I must have black on white *ONLY* for ALL programs if the output is to
> be legible.

It's probable that all your options will involve some degree of
compromise. AIUI, TERM=xterm-mono foo involves cooperation from the
program foo, which might need the author to be aware of what an xterm
is. For example, mutt loses all its colours with that, but not my
script that starts it up.

You could try running   xterm -cm   which appears to eliminate colours
entirely, but unfortunately you also lose inverse-video, which might
require you to do some tinkering. For example, mutt would require
arrow_cursor setting for navigation.

Even turning down the colour on a monitor suffers where text and
background differ in hue but not luminance. So I don't think you'll
find a silver bullet that fixes every case.

Cheers,
David.