Re: [Openvpn-users] surf the internet through openvpn

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 07:59:40 +0200
Stella Ashburne <rewefie@gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> This mailing list is for discussions concerning Debian.
>
> For discussions on specific topics such as openvpn, please post your
> questions on https://forums.openvpn.net/ or
> https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenVPN/

In general, yes, particularly with standalone applications.

But most applications when supplied through a distribution are
customised to some degree, and this is particularly true of networky
things like openvpn. The things that get customised are the fine
details of how the program interacts with the rest of the distribution,
and that is often where people need help, particularly if they are
familiar with a different distribution. Different distributions may
well have different policies about /etc/resolv.conf, for example, a
file often central to vpn issues.

So I'd agree that openvpn forums are the best place to get information
on openvpn, but there may be questions about it that only users of both
Debian and openvpn can answer. If I had recently had doings with
openvpn, I could probably have answered this one, but the last time was
too long ago. Configurations often change between Debian versions. There
are two broad applications of openvpn, either pure point-to-point for
secure remote access or, as in this case, route everything through the
tunnel to place the client effectively within the server's network.
I've always used it for the latter function, and I know that the advice
given so far has been necessary, but I couldn't say from recent
knowledge if it is sufficient.

It does seem likely in this case that the trouble is in the
configuration file. There are many of these around the Net, but it is
likely that most of the Debian-specific tweaks to openvpn affect this
file and a Debian-compatible example is vital.

It is also possible that someone using a firewall generating
application may need to do something to it, or that may happen
automatically, while someone using raw iptables or nftables will already
know they have to do this themselves. An entirely new kind of interface
appears with openvpn, and the firewall may be written to reject
anything from previously-unknown interfaces. Some firewall issues may be
Debian-dependent as they are also networky things.

--
Joe