Re: [Openvpn-users] surf the internet through openvpn

Hi guys,

This mailing list is for discussions concerning Debian.

For discussions on specific topics such as openvpn, please post your questions on https://forums.openvpn.net/ or https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenVPN/

Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2021 at 7:04 AM
From: "Bonno Bloksma" <b.bloksma@tio.nl>
To: "debian-user list" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Cc: "Fermin Francisco" <abcddo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] surf the internet through openvpn

Please keep the discussion on the list.
And sorry for top posting, this client refuses todo otherwise :-(

Make sure traffic coming from the openvpn client can indeed access the internet, test with ping.  If that does not work solve that problem first. Look at routing and NAT on your openvpn server.

Once that works try what happens with a browser, go to whatismyip.com or a similar website. The client ip the website sees should the ip of your openvpn server.
If ping works but http(s) does not you probably have a firewall issue.

If that works then SMTP should work as well as long as the receiving server has no problem with the discrepency in the ip number, hostname and PTR record.

Bonno Bloksma (mobile)

 Op 4 jun. 2021 om 22:01 heeft Fermin Francisco <abcddo@yahoo.com> het volgende geschreven:

Hi!
My problems are two:

After I putted the push "redirect-gateway local def1" in server conf file.

1. OpenVPN Linux's clients can't surf into the internet (Windows clients can surf into the internet), but can connect to remote software.
2. SMTP cannot worked (Thunderbird).

Sorry, my english is not good.

José Fermín Francisco Ferreras Registered User #579535 (LinuxCounter.net)

El viernes, 4 de junio de 2021 02:05:40 a. m. AST, Bonno Bloksma <b.bloksma@tio.nl> escribió:

Hello

> How can I make openvpn clients (Linux clients) surf the internet through openvpn using the public ip of the openvpn server

The client config should contain the line
redirect-gateway local def1

This will let OpenVpn add some lines to you routing table that make sure that:
- your client can still reach the OpenVPN server via the normal internet connection.
- All other traffic will leave the client via the openVPN tunnel.

Make sure the routing on your openVPN server and your firewall are set up correctly.

>(the openvpn server is on Windows)? And also that emails using Thunderbird can work with this method (that emails can enter and leave without problems).
This is just routing via another node, it has no influence on the protocol as the client still initiates all traffic sessions.

Ps. If you want you can push the line from the servers if you want to have it configures on all clients.

Bonno Bloksma