Re: PGP: difference between Kleopatra and Kgpg, both from KDE

On 31.05.21 22:57, deloptes wrote:

  apt-cache show kleopatra
  apt-cache show kgpg

I think the above parts of the package description explains quite well the
use cases.

With kleopatra you manage certificates in KDE (such like SSL)
With Kgpg you manage GPG keys and you can encrypt/decrypt GUI style text

Well, these descriptions partly cause my question. Following the package descriptions, Kgpg appears as the GUI frontend to GnuPG and in addition having a feature to input text into a field and to encrypt it right there instead of having to receive the input from a file, while Kleopatra appears to be kind of a GUI database manager for managing PGP keys and also X.509 certificates.

But installing them both and comparing there PGP related offers without understanding too much about the topic, Kleopatra seems, like Kgpg, the same being a GUI frontend to GnuPG, also including the feature for generating key pairs, and like Kgpg also having in addition a feature to input text into a field and to encrypt it right there instead of having to receive the input from a file.

To this extend it could simply be, that Kleopatra includes all Kgpg functionality and then as an extra adds management of also X.509 functionality to it. But if I compare the PGP settings which are offered in the GUI for creating a PGP key, then in detail this looks different in Kgpg and Kleopatra. Kleopatra seems to offer more options and is using more technical names for them, while Kgpg seems to offer a smaller amount of options and describes them more verbosely instead of using so much technical abbreviations. As a beginner it is very difficult to foresee if they are finally the same, with Kleopatra simply enhancing the amount of offered features in comparison to smaller Kgpg, Kgpg being kind of the tool for beginners and Kleopatra being the tool for experts, or if Kgpg is actually targeting work cases by its options in its GUI which are not addressed by Kleopatra like this. It could even be that under the hood one is known to work more reliable or working closer to the openPGP standard or being more compatible to interface with other PGP tools or Apps wanting to use PGP. I am here specially watching out for the PGP functionality and not considering that Kleopatra as an extra also offers X.509 functionality.

So, unfortunately I am still in need to find more information about the two different (or in the end not different?) GUI tools concerning their PGP functionality.

Many thanks for all the other explanations which you also gave in your answer, they have been helpful!
Marco.