Re: which command can show if usb 3.0 is used

On Lu, 31 mai 21, 13:41:43, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> On 2021-05-31 5:14 a.m., tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 04:47:13AM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> >>
> >> What is foolish is not to even check in the specifications of one's
> >> computer if it does support USB 3.0 at the hardware level.
> >
> > Now be easy on others, will you?
> >
> > Sometimes I send out a help request to immediately slap my forehead:
> > the answer was written on the package ;-)
> >
> Well maybe you forgot a basic rule of life, not only computing.
> You are responsible for your own success. Before asking for help, do
> something to find a solution yourself.
>
> Oh, no, too complicated to look on packages.debian.org so I'll ask on
> the mailing list what's the latest version of package xyz and if it's
> available in backports.
>
> Oh, no, too complicated to do a man dd to know what are the command line
> options. I'll just ask on the mailing list...
>
> If you don't bother making little effort then people won't make them
> either. So when you ask question, it will just be "Oh this guy always
> ask dumb question, now he asked a good question but if he ask so simple
> question most of the time, this mean I'll have to explain everything to
> him. If a he doesn't know what this word mean then I'll need to explain
> it too, because he won't even take the time to check what it means. He's
> just gonna ask me back what's a "canarie" or what's the "stack" when we
> are talking about buffer overflow.
>
> Do I really want to get into all this ? No...
> So I won't answer and you loose your chance to get real help when it's
> for something that you won't find easily the answer...

While I mostly agree with your point, I believe it can be done better,
nicer, and ultimately more helpful.

Since you've been pointing people to ESR's writings, allow me to suggest
you (re)read the section entitled "How to Answer Questions in a Helpful
Way", from his famous "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" essay[1].

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idm667

[1] which I believe is at least slightly outdated in regards to
communication style in general.

Kind regards,
Andrei