Re: Repo. ppa.launchpad.net

On Thu 13 May 2021 at 16:42:09 (+0100), Richmond wrote:
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm surprised it doesn't do a quick upgrade while it's about it.
> > Anyway, that's what I call self-inflicted.
>
> Those aren't the instructions given on the Signal website.

As you prefer. I typed   signal debian   into google and clicked on
the top link:
  https://signal.org › download
which took me to
  https://signal.org/en/download/
I clicked on the blue   Download for Linux   button, and the following appeared:

  Linux (Debian-based) Install Instructions

  # NOTE: These instructions only work for 64 bit Debian-based
  # Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, Mint etc.

  # 1. Install our official public software signing key
  wget -O- https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/keys.asc | gpg --dearmor > signal-desktop-keyring.gpg
  suXdo mv signal-desktop-keyring.gpg /usr/share/keyrings/

  # 2. Add our repository to your list of repositories
  echo 'deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/signal-desktop-keyring.gpg] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main' |\
    suXdo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list

  # 3. Update your package database and install signal
  suXdo apt update && suXdo apt install signal-desktop

Comparing this with what I posted before, I see that curl (Optional)
is replaced by wget (Standard), and one can assume the latter
is already installed.

Step 1 differs in that it stores the .gpg key instead of .asc.
I'm not aware of any significance in one format or the other.

Step 2 differs in that a specific key is used for verification,
rather than any key on the keyring.

Step 3 is identical.

Comments as before.

Cheers,