Re: Suspend on old MacBook with fresh Bullseye installation

Hi Stefan,

> > I also used hibernate as well as the LXDE controls or closing the lid -
> > the result is always the same:
> >
> >   1. Black screen
> >   2. Network disabled (ssh session freezes, no ping from other host)
> >   3. Fan keeps on moving silently
> >   4. Can't wake up to normal operation neither by
> >       - opening the lid
> >       - pressing any key
> >       - pressing power button
>
> Hmm... hibernate "should" work reasonably well, regardless of the
> underlying firmware.  Are you booting via EFI or via the "legacy BIOS"
> (which at some point was referred to as BootCamp)?  You may want to try
> the other one, just to see if it helps.

I used the installer default which is EFI.  I admit I have no idea how
to convince that MacBook to use something else.  Its the first time I've
got my hand on any Apple hardware - so no idea how I can switch to
something else from hardware side (nor whether I need to change
something on the Debian installation.

> How did you initiate the hibernate?

sudo systemctl hibernate

(as well as what lxde offers in its menu - no idea how that is called in
English locale).

> What does `cat /sys/power/disk` say?

$ cat /sys/power/disk
[platform] shutdown reboot suspend test_resume

> Try changing it, e.g. via `echo shutdown >/sys/power/disk`

# echo shutdown >/sys/power/disk
# cat /sys/power/disk
platform [shutdown] reboot suspend test_resume

> (that won't help for suspend but it might help for hibernation since
> step 3 above suggests that the machine didn't *really* turn itself off).

Yes, this is what I suspect.  The issue is in the process of suspending
/ hibernating and not in the process of waking up again.

Unfortunately the suggested change does not help either.

> > I was wondering about the black screen and suspected that the video
> > driver might be responsible for the problem.  Despite I'm perfectly fine
> > with the nuoveau driver I simply tried nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver (only
> > in unstable) hoping that this might solve the suspend problem.
>
> FWIW, I'd expect `nouveau` to behave a bit better w.r.t suspend/hibernate.

OK, thanks for confirming and for your hints in general

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de