Re: Suspend on old MacBook with fresh Bullseye installation

> I also used hibernate as well as the LXDE controls or closing the lid -
> the result is always the same:
>
>   1. Black screen
>   2. Network disabled (ssh session freezes, no ping from other host)
>   3. Fan keeps on moving silently
>   4. Can't wake up to normal operation neither by
>       - opening the lid
>       - pressing any key
>       - pressing power button

Hmm... hibernate "should" work reasonably well, regardless of the
underlying firmware.  Are you booting via EFI or via the "legacy BIOS"
(which at some point was referred to as BootCamp)?  You may want to try
the other one, just to see if it helps.

How did you initiate the hibernate?

What does `cat /sys/power/disk` say?
Try changing it, e.g. via `echo shutdown >/sys/power/disk`
(that won't help for suspend but it might help for hibernation since
step 3 above suggests that the machine didn't *really* turn itself off).

> I was wondering about the black screen and suspected that the video
> driver might be responsible for the problem.  Despite I'm perfectly fine
> with the nuoveau driver I simply tried nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver (only
> in unstable) hoping that this might solve the suspend problem.

FWIW, I'd expect `nouveau` to behave a bit better w.r.t suspend/hibernate.

        Stefan