Re: Suspend on old MacBook with fresh Bullseye installation

Andreas Tille [2021-05-11 20:18:55] wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>> > I also used hibernate as well as the LXDE controls or closing the lid -
>> > the result is always the same:
>> >
>> >   1. Black screen
>> >   2. Network disabled (ssh session freezes, no ping from other host)
>> >   3. Fan keeps on moving silently
>> >   4. Can't wake up to normal operation neither by
>> >       - opening the lid
>> >       - pressing any key
>> >       - pressing power button
>>
>> Hmm... hibernate "should" work reasonably well, regardless of the
>> underlying firmware.  Are you booting via EFI or via the "legacy BIOS"
>> (which at some point was referred to as BootCamp)?  You may want to try
>> the other one, just to see if it helps.
>
> I used the installer default which is EFI.  I admit I have no idea how
> to convince that MacBook to use something else.  Its the first time I've
> got my hand on any Apple hardware - so no idea how I can switch to
> something else from hardware side (nor whether I need to change
> something on the Debian installation.

To use the "legacy BIOS" style boot, you need:
- setup an MBR (ideally you have less than 4 partitions, so you can
  have a simple MBR with one pseudo-partition which is the "EFI
  protective" thingy and then the other partitions as before).
  You can set such an MBR without having to fully reinstall
  or repartition.  rEFIt used to come with a tool that did that, IIRC.
- install the non-EFI grub on your disk.
- potentially tell your Mac explicitly to use this boot method.
  A tool like rEFIt can be used (rEFIt is old, it's been superseded at
  least by rEFInd and probably others by now but I haven't kept up, sorry).

        Stefan