Re: generate a rss.xml from a bunch of HTML files

On 2021-05-09 at 15:36, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Emanuel Berg wrote:

>>> It sounds like you've written about a quarter of a static site
>>> generator already.
>>
>> Heh, no, what do you mean?
>>
>>> You could continue down that path, or just install Pelican and be
>>> happy in about a day.
>>
>> I would if it would do what I want namely get an RSS file and only
>> that. (Maybe it can even do that, I don't know.)
>
> If only you read the documentation, you would know.
>
>> But no one has or have heard of a CLI parser or shell tool...?
>
> That is what a static site generator is.
>
> It's a command-line tool that takes a directory full of content
> files, a set of templates, a CSS file or 3, and spits out a web site
> ready to be served by your favorite web server, including the thing
> you asked for: an RSS or ATOM feed.

One possible difference is that the ones I've looked at (admittedly
nowhere near all of them) seem to expect the input to be in some other
format, to be translated into HTML etc., rather than letting you write
the HTML etc. directly and doing [whatever other things] with the
result. For example, the package description for pelican (which you
suggested earlier) says that it requires its input to be in Markdown or
rST.

In a case where you've already written the HTML et cetera and want to
continue to do so, these generators don't seem to be applicable to the
input form which you have available and want to continue to use.

For myself, if I were to write a static Website, I would probably do it
by literally writing the raw HTML (and probably not even using CSS, as
it goes against the "don't define how the output should look" principle
which I understand to have been part of HTML as it was originally
designed); the HTML, et cetera, output by any such generator would
probably not be in line with my preferences.

Then again, I'm not sure a static site of that type would really be
suitable for having an RSS-type feed of, since by definition it would be
static and not receiving updates such as might go into such a feed.

--
   The Wanderer