Re: generate a rss.xml from a bunch of HTML files

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> >> ... no one did it? :O
> >
> > In FLOSS this usually means nobody else needed it.
>
> Impossible in this, basic case. The static generator guys who
> also did the RSS as mentioned already needed it, and did it,
> only not modular to fit this purpose (IIUC from reading here).

They totally did. As a library, not a standalone.

Because it turns out almost everybody needs consistency, and
that comes from dealing with the whole problem.

> > Why do you need it? Maybe we can suggest other means to
> > achieve your (true) goal.
>
> True goal!
>
> I have a blog [1], just a bunch of HTML5/CSS files, absolutely
> nothing advanced, and I'd like an RSS file [2] which is
> generated from the HTML files (not the CSS, so even simpler
> actually) so I for example can submit it here [2] and read it
> with Gnus :)
>
> So one needs a parser to parse the HTML, dispose of
> unnecessary stuff, walk the tree (ha) and output it as
> an RSS file.

That's what all those static site generators do.

As a bonus, they usually offer templating (so the structure of
pages looks similar to each other) and shared CSS (so the
visuals are decoupled from the structure, and can be changed
without going in to every page to repeat tweaks.)

It sounds like you've written about a quarter of a static site
generator already.

You could continue down that path, or just install Pelican and
be happy in about a day.

Don't become that person who gets angry at wheels because wheels
need axles and bearings when all you ever needed was a couple of
good round logs.

-dsr-