Re: PC fan getting very loud because of CPU load

Bret Busby wrote:

> I think this goes to an issue, over which, I tend to get into heated
> arguments, including with my wife, who is a software developer, who
> develops web sites that I believe to be responsible.
>
> In the original post, from memory, was stated that it happened with some
> web sites, and, not with others, and, this involves an issue of system
> load, due to particular web sites.

Yes but it does not seem to be relevant, because I installed  same firefox
on both PCs and open same number of windows with same content.
On the C700 no CPU load and on the Q520 the described behavior just few
seconds after opening the first link.
So it must be something with the Q520 specifically.
I now will install also the same kernel on both machines to see if it makes
a difference.

> I think this goes to the issue of client side processing, as opposed to
> server side processing ( I believe, and, argue, that all processing
> involved with web sites, should be server side, if the web sites are
> competently and benignly written, and that client side processing, is
> malignant), and I suggest that it could be worth viewing the source code
> of the web site(s) responsible for the problem.
>
> I sometimes encounter web sites that are so badly and heavily client
> side weighted, that it can take five to ten minutes, to get a response
> from  a key press, in a form, and, other web sites whizz through stuff,
> on the same computer, in the same web browser.
>
> So, I tend to have more than one web browser running at the same time,
> with firefox script enabled, and, the other(s) script disabled.. On my
> other system, I have firefox running, script enabled, and, Seamonkey
> running, script disabled.
>
> Another issue, depending upon the nature of the web site(s) with which
> you have a problem, could be in the use of plugins in firefox - some
> particularly malicious web sites put up quite aggressive fights against
> ad blocking and tracking blocking plugins, and try to burn out computers
> of users who object to ads and being tracked and who object to websites
> trying to steal the users' identities and personal information.

Yes, this is true - I have to inspect this. On the C700 there is ad-blocker.
on the Q520 I am not sure.

> So, if you can find a trusted web site, I suggest temporarily disabling
> all plugins, and, monitoring the effect, if any, on your system load - I
> would not do this, with the web site(s) responsible for this problem - I
> think the system load problem, could be your computer defending itself
> against an attack.
>
> I also wonder whether you notice any unexpected massive data traffic.

no

> I have, from time to time, noticed unexpected sustained downloads, using
> up tens of gigabytes of my quota.
>
> Unfortunately, insofar as I am aware, Linux does not have any packages
> that indicate what websites are responsible for Internet traffic; if I
> notice sustained downloading of over half a megabyte per second, all
> that I can do, is turn off the networking, for a couple of hours, and,
> check to see whether it resumes the unsolicited traffic.

This implies installing a device between the modem and the PC, but at the
end I may also do this. It will just take time

thank you for your long post and opinion