Re: PC fan getting very loud because of CPU load

deloptes [2021-05-08 21:33:47] wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
>> It is also the case that fans are cheap. Replacing one for
>> $10-20 is generally good for another 5-10 years.
> But the question is why it runs > 100% - the fan is not that important in
> the case. It could be replaced with not so loud one, but the CPU will still
> run at 100+ % when firefox is running.

Actually, it could be related: on some of my laptops, when the fan
wasn't working well, I often saw both 100% CPU and a loud fan at the
same time, and both were due to the CPU's temperature (the system reacts
to too-high a temperature by increasing the fan speed, of course, but
also reducing significantly the CPU's frequency which in turn can cause
it to hit 100% usage even if there isn't a terribly high load).

        Stefan