Client-side vs. server-side Website processing (was Re: PC fan getting very loud because of CPU load)

On 2021-05-08 at 16:47, Bret Busby wrote:

> I think this goes to the issue of client side processing, as opposed
> to server side processing ( I believe, and, argue, that all
> processing involved with web sites, should be server side, if the web
> sites are competently and benignly written, and that client side
> processing, is malignant),

One possible (part of a) counterargument: data privacy.

Although I no longer recall specific examples, I've run across some
Websites in the past which were - or for which it was being argued that
they should be - designed to process as much data as possible on the
client side, specifically so as to minimize the data transmitted to the
server, and thus the data which could potentially be leaked to a third
party (or even mined for value by the second party, i.e. those who
control the server involved).

That also brings up the case of minimizing the data transferred in order
to minimize pay-per-byte transfer costs (as I understand to still be the
norm in some jurisdictions) or problems with data caps (as are becoming
increasingly common in other jurisdictions), but that's less likely to
be relevant for most Websites.

> and I suggest that it could be worth viewing the source code of the
> web site(s) responsible for the problem.
>
> I sometimes encounter web sites that are so badly and heavily client
> side weighted, that it can take five to ten minutes, to get a
> response from  a key press, in a form, and, other web sites whizz
> through stuff, on the same computer, in the same web browser.

That, on the other hand, is *clearly* excessive.

--
   The Wanderer