Re: PC fan getting very loud because of CPU load

Bret Busby wrote:

> I think this goes to the issue of client side processing, as opposed to
> server side processing ( I believe, and, argue, that all processing involved
> with web sites, should be server side, if the web sites are competently and
> benignly written, and that client side processing, is malignant), and I
> suggest that it could be worth viewing the source code of the web site(s)
> responsible for the problem.

There are some reasonable cases for client-side computing. It's
certainly badly overused.

> have a problem, could be in the use of plugins in firefox - some
> particularly malicious web sites put up quite aggressive fights against ad
> blocking and tracking blocking plugins, and try to burn out computers of
> users who object to ads and being tracked and who object to websites trying
> to steal the users' identities and personal information.

I've never encountered this -- please let me know some sample
URLs whenever you have time.

> Unfortunately, insofar as I am aware, Linux does not have any packages that
> indicate what websites are responsible for Internet traffic; if I notice
> sustained downloading of over half a megabyte per second, all that I can do,
> is turn off the networking, for a couple of hours, and, check to see whether
> it resumes the unsolicited traffic.

Doing that would, in general, require an agent inside the
browser.

Turns out there is an agent inside the browser that can do this:
the standard web developer tools in Firefox (right click,
Inspect, then click on the new Network tab).

More generally, you can track live network activity per
interface and per IP (with DNS resolution, if possible) with the
tool iftop. Debian packages it.

Much more generally, you can graph long term network usage with
any number of tools; I like smokeping and librenms among others.

-dsr-