Re: Can not delete file with correct permissions

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 06:18:18PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> Understood. Hmm, just tried mutt again and it can not delete files, telling
> me, that "temporary files can not be written" in /var/mail.
>
> So it looks more that the file and directory permissions are set correctly,
> and that means -> I have to take  a look at mutt.

The way I have things set up is that a mail delivery agent (MDA)
puts things in my home, in ~/mail. It runs under my UID, but with
the `mail' group ID, which is allowed to write to /var/mail.

It is at this step that my mail is distributed to different boxes,
according to rules in my ~/.procmailrc.

The MDA is run by the MTA, which, in my case is Exim4.

"My" mutt doesn't touch /var/mail at all, but has its playground
in my home, specifically ~/mail.

Having user's mail in /var/mail is definitely possible (actually
this used to be the "traditional" schema), but then, either
/var/mail should be writable by "other" or, better, you should
be in group `mail'.

And don't forget the sticky bit -- otherwise users can play nasty
shenanigans on each other.

Cheers
 - t