The strange case of sudo segfaulting on exit

Hi all,
reportbug pointed me here because I wasn't sure where to file this
bug. I'll start by summarizing the observed behavior, and then go into
more detail below.

If anyone can suggest further debugging steps to take (or where to
direct a bug report), I'd be grateful. :)

$ sudo -i
# cp /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.11 /tmp/
# cp /tmp/libz.so.1.2.11 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.11
# exit
logout
Segmentation fault
$

I first encountered this behavior on a Debian bullseye VM running in
VirtualBox on a non-ECC (Intel Coffee Lake) host. I then created an
entirely new Debian bullseye VM from install media [1] on another
ECC-having (Intel Broadwell) host using KVM, and reproduced this
behavior. So if it's a bug in virtualization software, it's not just
one implementation.

The segfault in question does not occur if a cp is not performed to
one of a number of possible library files in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ -
it does not appear to be all of them, as I tested with libanl-2.31.so
and it did not cause a segfault on exit, but I do not know what the
requirements are.

The behavior in question is not specific to libz.so.1.2.11 somehow,
that was just a convenient example - I originally encountered this
when I was iterating on development of a different library by cping
the recompiled library over and wondering why my sudo cp [...]
segfaulted after completion. (Said software I was working on has never
been installed on the KVM VM, so I think it's safe to say that it's
unrelated to the problem.)

I also reproduced this behavior on a CentOS 8 VM running on the same
aforementioned VirtualBox host, but not a Debian buster VM on same.

The behavior persists across cold and warm power cycles of the VM.

While experimenting with someone in #debian, I tried installing sudo
from experimental, and it still died the same way.

I quickly tried building sudo from buster on bullseye, and it still
dies the same way as well.

"debsums" reports nothing but "OK" on either bullseye VM.

Curiously, "su - root -c 'cp [...]'" segfaults on the VirtualBox VM
but not the KVM VM.

Thanks,
- Rich

[1] - debian-bullseye-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso, if curious