Re: The strange case of sudo segfaulting on exit

On Mi, 05 mai 21, 00:37:50, Rich wrote:

> $ sudo -i
> # cp /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.11 /tmp/
> # cp /tmp/libz.so.1.2.11 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.11
> # exit
> logout
> Segmentation fault
> $

Perhaps a naive question from my side, but why do you expect this to
just work?

> The behavior in question is not specific to libz.so.1.2.11 somehow,
> that was just a convenient example - I originally encountered this
> when I was iterating on development of a different library by cping
> the recompiled library over and wondering why my sudo cp [...]
> segfaulted after completion. (Said software I was working on has never
> been installed on the KVM VM, so I think it's safe to say that it's
> unrelated to the problem.)

As a general recommendation locally (re-)compiled stuff should go to
/usr/local, for a good reason.

Please provide more details on exactly what your original goal is and
what you tried in order to achieve it.

Kind regards,
Andrei