Re: debian-user list info and guidelines (FAQ) - posted monthly

On 01-05-2021 20:07, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> debian-user is a mailing list provided for support for Debian users,
> and to facilitate discussion on relevant topics.
>
> Some guidelines which may help explain how the list works:
>
> * The language on this mailing list is English. There may be other mailing
>   lists that are language-specific for example debian-user-french
>
> * It is common for users to be redirected here from other lists - for example,
>   from debian-project. It is also common for people to be posting here when
>   English is not their primary language. Please be considerate.
>
> * The list is a Debian communication forum. As such, it is subject to both
>   the Debian mailing list Code of Conduct and the main Debian Code of Conduct

>  https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
>
> * This is a fairly busy mailing list and you may have to wait for an
>   answer - please be patient. Please post answers back to the list so
>   others can benefit; private conversations don't benefit people who
>   may be following along on the list or reading the archives later.
>
> * Help and advice on this list is provided by volunteers in their own time.
>   It is common for there to be different opinions or answers provided.
>
>  * Please try to stay on topic. Arguments for the sake of it are not
>    welcome here. Partisan political / religious / cultural arguments
>    do not belong here either. Debian's community is world wide; don't
>    assume others will agree with your views or need to read them on a
>    Debian list.
>
> * There is an FAQ on the Debian wiki derived from some questions asked on this
>   list at https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser
>
> * One question that comes up on almost all Debian lists from time to time is of
>   the form:
>   "I have done something wrong / included personal details in an email.
>    Could you please delete my name / details / remove the mail"
>
> Practically, this is impossible: the mailing lists are archived,
> potentially cached
> by Google and so on. Unfortunately, there is nothing much we can do to
> ensure that
> all copies anywhere on the Internet are deleted. Asking to do this may
> only serve to
> draw further attention - the so-called "Streisand effect"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
>
> Problems?
> =========
>
> Complaints about inappropriate behaviour should be referred to the
> Debian Community Team <community@debian.org>.
>
> Inappropriate behaviour on the list may lead to warnings; repeated bad
> behaviour may lead to temporary or permanent bans for offenders.

`This is a fairly busy mailing list' - Oh no, it isn't!
It used to be.
I can recall days when I'd get 300 mails or more, but that was when the
attitude was it was a list for Debian users, and not just a list for
Debian issues.
At times, there would be 70% of threads on topic, while the rest were
wildly off, but there's one aspect everybody seems to have forgotten:
conversation/communication builds community.
And this list is somewhat dry on that quality these days.
I think we can attribute the list drying up like a river in drought to
that.
Perhaps the prissy and politically correct simply don't have it right?
Cheers!

Harry.
--
`Women fall in love with what they hear,
men fall in love with what they see,