Re: bash completion and spaces

On Mon 26 Apr 2021 at 18:27:57 (+0000), davidson wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 davidson wrote:
>
> Two corrections to previous message.

> > % Proposal D
> >
> > $ cat ~/.inputrc # a literal Shift-TAB is inside the double quotes
> > "   ": menu-complete
>
> 2. The '^[' above is an artifact of...something. In my ~/.inputrc
> there is nothing inside those double quotes except for a literal
> Shift-TAB (encoded as ASCII ESC character 0x1b followed by TAB 0x09).

It's an "artifact" of whatever your email displays Escape with.
Mutt shows ^[ , whereas less shows ESC in inverse video.
Less -r "gobbles up" part of the string, so that you see
  " menu-complete
unless you search for <SPACE>, in which case the line changes to
  "   ": menu-complete
(with all the spaces in inverse-video.
Emacs (my composition window in mutt) makes things less ambiguous,
displaying the ^[ in cyan.

Thanks for all the completion menus: a useful set of examples.

Cheers,
David.