ctrl-p not working as expected at bash command prompt on debian docker container

I downloaded and ran this docker image: https://hub.docker.com/_/debian

It works, but typically when I hit the ctrl-p key at the bash prompt, it acts like the up arrow key and shows the previous command.

However, I have to hit ctrl-p twice to show the previous command and twice each time to show the next previous command.

Ctrl-n works as expected with each single stroke going to the next command.

The debian machine doesn't have a lot of packages installed so I'm guessing there is some basic config package I need to install.

Does anyone have any idea?