Re: scanner recommendation

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 10:27 AM Russell <rustbuckett@pm.me> wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > As with all of these asking for recommendations type questions, there
> > is little detail provided. For example, do you want a standalone scanner
> > or would an MFD suit?
> >
> > sane-airscan supports all modern MFDs. Shopping online would allow you
> > to submit your preferred choice here for scrutiny.
> >

> I really like my HP MFD laser printer/scanner. I use a combination of
> hplip and CUPS and I'm able to scan over wifi in SimpleScan and XSane. I
> used hp-makeuri that is part of hplip and used that URI to add the
> printer in the CUPS web interface.
>
> Altough, I've never gotten the autofeed to work properly... :(
>
> --
> rust
> 0x68caecc97f6a90122e51c0692c88d9cb6b58a3dc

Thanks to all for the information.

In regard to Brian's request for more information, my use case is
mostly just trying to digitize decades of personal paper documents,
such as letters, pictures, greeting cards, etc.
And also to occasionally satisfy the demand of a company or other
institution, for some business-related or legal matter.

After some thought, I am leaning toward just getting another
stationary flatbed scanner only, rather than a multi-function device
or mobile scanner.  I don't plan to take it on the road.  And often,
simpler is better.  And I like the idea of device modularity, i.e.,
that if my scanner goes out, my separate printer would still work
fine.  And vice-versa.

I do NOT need a device that will send faxes, make phone calls, or make
coffee in the morning.

I DO need something that should be reliable, last a while, and work
under Debian (64-bit) with a minimum of configuration.  In that
regard, note that Simple-Scan worked fine for me, but Xsane seems
maybe too complicated for my needs currently.

Unfortunately, I have some other, more important things going on right
now that require my attention and have higher priority than replacing
the scanner.

So it might take a little while.  But thanks again for the replies.