Re: No networking after resume from suspend

On 4/23/21, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>> > Let's try from the bottom up?
>> >
>> > ip link show
>> >   will show you the interfaces recognized by the kernel. If this
>> >   works, it might show you an eth0, an en0, or something like a
>> >   enp22s0 device. Let's call it "SAM".
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>>  enp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
>> state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
>

>> >   and make sure the cable is plugged in.
>>
>> :)
>
> Ah, you laugh, but: the NO-CARRIER...UP... state DOWN means that
> the kernel recognizes the device and there's a cable issue.
>
> Go trace the cable, replug in both ends, and if that doesn't
> work, replace the cable. If the far end has a free port, try
> swapping to a different port - this one might be toasted.

Those ethernet to USB port adapter products have been irreplaceable
for me. The only ones that have NEVER worked are the ones that come as
a two-for-one package. They don't seem to work for most other Users,
either. I tested the one I have just a few days ago AGAIN. Zero
interaction.

Maybe I'll try it yet AGAIN today. I'd like to solve that so that it's
one more successful option for mainly poverty folks with computers.
The package I bought was surely under $10. I think I've probably paid
at most maybe $5 or $6 for the single ones.

All of the adapters that come as a single item have worked great. You
just have to track down the new identifier, e.g. one of mine is
"enx00909e9dd1ee". That long value goes wherever one normally types in
eth0, enp1s0, eno1, etc.

Dmesg often reports that value. I grep /var/log/kern* for the word
"renamed" because that's what I always remember first. Except that
then there's having to open kern.log in a text editor occasionally so
yeah, dmesg rocks if one can remember to go that route.

Grep works with dmesg, too. I just tested it. Only one line to read as
output. Very cognitively friendly! :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey