Graphical session does not close until unattended-upgrades has applied all updates

Hi list,

I am preparing some Debian 11 desktops for a school (for when it will be the new stable). The setup is very simple: no root account, one partition, tasks desktop/Cinnamon/SSH. Unattended-upgrades is configured to install updates on shutdown (see 1): upgrading works properly, but is very disturbing for the users:

When the user chooses to shutdown or reboot the computer from his Cinnamon session, the session does not close until all updates are applied. While waiting:
- icons on the desktop disappear
- the usual menu that allows choosing between suspend/hibernate/reboot/cancel/shutdown won't appear again (see 2)
- it is still possible to start applications

When a user session has been opened, then closed, and the user clicks on shutdown or reboot from LightDM, the behavior is similar: LightDM does not stop. It is even possible to log in again, while unattended-upgrades is applying updates, but when updates are applied the computer shutdowns/reboots as requested originally from LightDM.

I would expect the session to be completely closed, LightDM stopped, and the console or Plymouth displaying a message indicating the ongoing updates. I am almost sure this works like this on Ubuntu, with the same setup from me. Where should I look to solve this? Should I report a bug, and on which package?

Regards,
Yvan

1. Here are the files I create to configure unattended-upgrades:
$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/21periodic
  APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";
  APT::Periodic::CleanInterval "1";

$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/51unattended-upgrades-local
Unattended-Upgrade::Origins-Pattern {
  "origin=Debian,codename=bullseye,label=Debian";
  "origin=Debian,codename=bullseye,label=Debian-Security";
  "origin=Debian,codename=bullseye-updates,label=Debian";
};
Unattended-Upgrade::Mail "root";
nattended-Upgrade::InstallOnShutdown "true";
Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Kernel-Packages "false";

$ cat /etc/systemd/logind.conf.d/unattended-upgrades.conf
[Login]
# 30 minutes delay
InhibitDelayMaxSec=1800

2. This matches the following error in ~/.xsession-errors:
Cjs-message: 09:26:35.004: JS LOG: Ignored exception from dbus method: GIO.IOErrorEnum: GDBus:Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.NotInRunning: Shutdown interface is only available during the Running phase