Re: looks like I need an hid interface

On Monday 19 April 2021 14:24:09 deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > A warning to others, a "sudo apt install avrdude" did a just barely
> > announced reboot of my machine, and it has taken me nomonally half
> > an hour to restore everything that had x jerked out from under it.
> > It killed x before it announced it on a text screen. The reboot was,
> > shall we say, messy. No /var/run/locks were removed, so kmail had a
> > cow when it was restarted.
> >
> > That was on my stretch system, it did not repeat on a buster
> > install. But no TDE is in use there either.
>
> You've still not updated this stretch of yours - shame on you!

Well, I did buy some 1/2T samsung SSD's a week ago, so I am making
progress.  Breaking in one of them in another machine right now. Working
well in fact.  Makes an elderly Dell act like the latest hardware.

How soon is bulleye going live?

> > This device, a usb dongle labeled "USB ISP version 2.0" is
> > apparently not well supported by avrdude. And unforch, the ATmel
> > address in the man page is now re-directed to a Microchip site,
> > ATmel I assume having since been bought by microchip, the product
> > listing on that web page does not include the ATmega1284p, and while
> > an option "-c usbtiny" gets a device listing that includes the
> > ATmega1284p, this isn't a usbtiny. I am guessing from the
> > instructions that this dongle has a memory area where the patches
> > for marlin, the printers rs-274d driver, are kept, accessed and
> > uploaded to the flash in the printers controller. But thats a WAG.
> >
> > I'll email the author by cc'ing, maybe he can help.
> >
> > Anybody have a better idea?
>
> I use mySmartUsb light (~16,-) with the avrdude and with a self
> soldiered Atmel programmer board for ~12,-, but knowing your skills
> and context, I am sure you need only the USB stick.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis