Re: looks like I need an hid interface

On Monday 19 April 2021 07:11:04 Anssi Saari wrote:

> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:
> > It looks as if dfu-programmer might work, but I just went to a
> > buster machine and installed dfu-* but the --targets listing output
> > does not include this particular ATmega1284p chip.
>
> avrdude might work instead. I haven't done much with ATmega anything
> in a while though.

A warning to others, a "sudo apt install avrdude" did a just barely
announced reboot of my machine, and it has taken me nomonally half an
hour to restore everything that had x jerked out from under it. It
killed x before it announced it on a text screen. The reboot was, shall
we say, messy. No /var/run/locks were removed, so kmail had a cow when
it was restarted.

That was on my stretch system, it did not repeat on a buster install. But
no TDE is in use there either.

This device, a usb dongle labeled "USB ISP version 2.0" is apparently not
well supported by avrdude. And unforch, the ATmel address in the man
page is now re-directed to a Microchip site, ATmel I assume having since
been bought by microchip, the product listing on that web page does not
include the ATmega1284p, and while an option "-c usbtiny" gets a device
listing that includes the ATmega1284p, this isn't a usbtiny. I am
guessing from the instructions that this dongle has a memory area where
the patches for marlin, the printers rs-274d driver, are kept, accessed
and uploaded to the flash in the printers controller. But thats a WAG.

I'll email the author by cc'ing, maybe he can help.

Anybody have a better idea?

I do have a $300 hp AIO I use as a graphics display for a Vector Network
Analyser when I'm tuning an AM transmiter tower, but that is a home
edition of W10, and the chances of that having a copy of progisp.exe are
somewhere between none and dontbesilly.

Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)