Re: Can the latest stable Debian be compelled to run in vesa mode, rather than the motherboard graphics card, if the said card doesn't have drivers available? How?

Susmita/Rajib composed on 2021-04-19 10:30 (UTC+0530):

> Okay, in any case I am to reinstall fresh and latest stable Debian, as
> advised by Dr./Mr. Cater.

> So in nutshell, may please the steps be described? The idea involved?

No specific steps should be necessary to enable use of your GeForce 8200M G
[MCP79]. However, a default installation will include xserver-xorg-video-nouveau,
to provide the nouveau DDX, which should work with all non-ancient NVidia GPUs,
such as GeForce 8200M G [MCP79]. To use the modesetting DIX instead of the nouveau
DDX on a fresh installation, it may be sufficient to do nothing specifically
regarding X drivers. If in fact xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is installed, and
utilized, it is sufficient to purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and restart X to
engage the modesetting DIX. The nouveau DDX should work similarly to the
modesetting DIX. Whether one or the other is better for your GeForce 8200M G
[MCP79] would require you do your own comparison testing.

Just a suggestion: a default Debian installation including X includes Gnome, which
seems to be quite demanding of the hardware compared to most other DEs. For users
of older hardware such as yours, I personally suggest just about any other DE be
selected for installation instead. The DE I use with older hardware is not
available directly from Debian repos, but from its developers:
<http://www.trinitydesktop.org/>
<https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions>

In order to exclude Debian DEs at installation I include the following on the
installation kernel's command line:

	tasks=standard base-installer/install-recommends=false
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/