Basics for fresh install [WAS Re: Can the latest stable Debian be compelled to run in vesa mode, rather than the motherboard graphics card, if the said card doesn't have drivers available? How?]

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:00:59AM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 00:12:29 -0400, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ref: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/04/msg00530.html
>
> "...
> Unless and until all traces of NVidia's driver installation and associated
> configuration changes have been purged from your machine, I can be no
> help except
> WRT eradicating them. Even in that regard others know better than me how to
> proceed. AFAICT, whatever NVidia driver installation does eliminates
> any chance to
> make FOSS drivers work acceptably.
> ..."
>
> Okay, in any case I am to reinstall fresh and latest stable Debian, as
> advised by Dr./Mr. Cater.

Mr. Cater - but Andy / Andrew is more normal for me and I'm fine with
that :)

If you are doing a complete fresh install and want to use Nouveau - just
go through the install using the firmware CD/DVD image. The worst that
can happen is that it really doesn't work, at which point you need to try
a text install as outlined in an answer to your previous message.

If you can install using a wired Ethernet connection to start with, always
do so, in my opinion, as it makes it easier to know that you have a reliable
connection. If you can't -that's why using the firmware DVD is advised.

> So in nutshell, may please the steps be described? The idea involved?
>
> It is requested that a copy of email be sent to my Gmailbox please.
>
> Best.
> Rajib

On Debian lists, we would normally reply to the list first - so other people
get to see the answers - see the FAQ posted once a month here - but as
you've asked specifically, I'll do that for you.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater