Re: [?]List of Best Debian-approved laptops in India

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:56:46 +0000, "Andrew M.A. Cater"
<amacater@einval.com> wrote:
[QUOTE]
[...]
I followed through the screenshots you provided.
[...]
You can't ignore the source - you may have to apply it to a kernel.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, learnt. Thank you.

[QUOTE]
[...]
You have dependency errors. That's a bad sign.

[...]
WHY, oh, why are you trying to use Bullseye and kernel 5.10 at this stage?
[/QUOTE]

I used the example of knoppix. Regarding Bullseye and kernel 5.10,
that was knoppix.

[QUOTE]
[...]
First things first: you have a laptop which is 64 bit capable, I think.
You also have a laptop which is capable of using UEFI. Use them.
Use those options.
[...]
[/QUOTE]

64bit yes. For the problematic laptop, UEFI, no.

[QUOTE]
Download a CD/DVD including firmware if that's what it takes -
First link is CD which may be enough, second is DVD

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-10.9.0-amd64-netinst.iso
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-dvd/firmware-10.9.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
[...]
[/QUOTE]

> Presently, I used the Debian grub to run knoppix, either as iso by
> loopback loop, or with iso extracted and am presently using knoppix
> for the HCL Me laptop.
>
> Please tell me if there is a possibility of using Debian to use vesa
> (or fbdev) from grub, although fbdev is deprecated, vesa runs fine.
> But a little stressful for the motherboard and CPU. Heat up.
>
> Best,
> Rajib

[QUOTE]
Try the above with current Debian 10 and a text mode expert install _first_
Do NOT install a graphical environment until you can get the laptop working
in text mode. At that point, you may have to deal with installing nouveau
or, possibly, the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

You will almost certainly need the build-essential tools to build Nvidia
code if you use the proprietary drivers.

Please try taking this single step by single step and explaining what
errors you are getting as you go. For large amounts of logs, you might
need to use pastebin.

Hope this helps, all the best,

Andy C.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Dr. Cater.

Until recently, Debian 10.8 was the most recent one. So I had used that one.

One question: After I have installed in the text mode, what codes do I
use for apt-get, or to be precise, like synaptic search in GUI, how do
I search for the specific nvidia drivers for "GeForce 8200M G
[MCP79]"?    What would be equivalent apt-get lines?

Best.
Rajib