Re: [?]List of Best Debian-approved laptops in India

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 15:19:36 +0000, "Andrew M.A. Cater"
<amacater@einval.com> wrote:
>     To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>     Subject: Re: [?]List of Best Debian-approved laptops in India
>     From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com>
>     Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 15:19:36 +0000
> [🔎] CAEG4cZU0mqrkfZBjypL_wZUtDoUOjMmrw509tw82HP0GCyUD4Q@mail.gmail.com>

[...]
> Please do not do this. Please do not refer across to the forums as that
> means chasing away from the mailing lists. Please do ask questions here.

Thank you for replying to my post, Mr. Cater. I consider such
reportage my honesty and empathy. I won't have my support-providers
waste man-hours doubly, both there and here. I shall share the links
there and here.

> [...]
> The forum post you have made is not very clear. Most laptops require some
> firmware. Most laptops require non-free WiFi firmware. An increasing number
> also require non-free video drivers. This is, unfortunately, to be
> expected:
> the market share for Linux is small - even where manufacturers pre-install
> Linux - like Lenovo - we may have to install non-free drivers.

[...]

Yes, I am pained to find GNU FSF failing.

> [...]
> _Which_ model of HP laptop?
> What does the output of lspci show?
> If you use grep to search the output of dmesg, what does it show for
> firmware / video chipset and so on?

HP laptop issue was partially solved by these two posts:

Debian wifi icon gauges the wireless signal through the card alright,
but fails to use internet through it. However, Knoppix is able to use
the wifi card for internet.

May the issue be _ignored_ therefore.

>> Vesa doesn't work in Debian Buster 10.8, by my blocking Nouveau
>> through grub.cfg that halts the nvidia graphics chip. The string
>> 'xmodule=vesa' doesn't work either.
>
> Don't do that, then. If you install the main Debian installer [using text
> mode
>  only if necessary) - an expert install does the laptop display anything?
> The text mode installer and the graphical installer both use basic drivers
> that should work with most chipsets.

I created a separate thread on this issue, posting the problem in
details and then asking for a HowTo:
Can the latest stable Debian be compelled to run in vesa mode, rather
than the motherboard graphics card, if the said card doesn't have
drivers available? How?

So please bear with me until then.

But in the end. may the two laptops, HP and HCL, be please ignored.

Please peruse the links that have been provided and suggest a good
laptop to buy.

Mr.  Kushal Kumaran <kushal@locationd.net> has mentioned two laptops
from India. I shall talk to him

Thank you,