Re: SOLVED:command to start sshfs at bootup?

On Saturday 17 April 2021 23:31:20 Gene Heskett wrote:

It boiled down to something, someplace, not liking a hostname starting
with a number, I recalled I had to rename another machine a couple
months ago because it didn't work either.

But I changed its hostname to dddprint, based on the previous 3dprint,
and it now works as requested. So my problem is solved.

Is that just a head scratcher, or is there a valid reason to not allow a
hostname such as 6040 or 3dprint? Something starting with a numeral IOW.

Is that a bug?  Or is there a specific reason for the silent failure?

In which case, it really ought to be a little mouthier about the failure.

> On Saturday 17 April 2021 21:47:20 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > getent hosts 3dprint
>
> nothing is returned.
>
> I think I might be on the trail though, I just recalled I had to
> rename another machine several months back, from 6040 to sixty40,
> someplace it doesn't like a hostname starting with a number. So I'll
> investigate that tomorrow. I just shut that one down for the night
> since I've not yet added it to amanda's nightly backups.
>
> Thanks Greg.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)