Re: command to start sshfs at bootup?

> > The first probable cause that comes to mind for me is that the sshd or
> > the SFTP subsystem of sshd on this "3dprint" host is not working
> > properly. Check the logs on that host and look for anything that might
> > tell you more.
>
> no mention of sshfs in the logs of the other machines that are Just
> Working.

Don't "look for sshfs".  The messages may not contain that string.
What you want to do (in general) is see what messages appeared at the
exact time of your failure.  Regardless of whether they contain a
certain string.

> > 1) Does "getent hosts 3dprint" give me the correct IP address?
> no, despite this line in my /etc/hosts
> 192.168.71.45   3dprint.coyote.den            3dp

... what *does* it give?

Also, if you want to refer to the machine as "3dprint" then the alias
"3dprint" should appear in your hosts file.  Not "3dp" (or in addition
to "3dp").

> > 2) Can I ping it?
> yes as 3dprint, also as the alias 3dp
>
> > 3) Can I ssh into it?  As gene?
> yes
> > 4) Can I sftp into it?  As gene?
>
> haven't tried that, normally use mc, as me to shift things around.

Do I even need to say anything more at this point?

You aren't ACTUALLY RUNNING any of the commands that I said to run, are
you.  You're just giving the answers you *think* they would give.