Re: going beyond a ch341 uart-usb convertor

On 4/11/21 23:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

Building a design/builder for a 3d printer, which when a std usb to
printer cable is connected between the computer and the 3d printer,
Identifies as a ch341 convertor cable once it is plugged into the
printer.

conman seems helpless, as does cutecom.

cura has a monitor that can drive an ender 3 over this same cable but
I've not been able to establish a connection to cura, for whatever
reason.

Perhaps conman or cutecom is not the correct way to do it. IDK, and the
docs for this printer are as non-existant as the chinese company that
made it. Its labeled as a NEWEREAL M-18-S, and is nearly twice as big as
an ender 3. Work envelope is 310x310x400mm, and is the same bed-slinger
style as an ender 3.

What would the next thing to try and discover why its not working?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

I have used putty to connect to my ender 3 and a CNC3-3018.  I used /dev/ttyUSB0, 115200 baud and type serial.  Its half duplex so you don't see what you type unless you turn on echo mode.  As mentioned before you need to be in the dialout group for this to work.  I have connected bCNC to the 3018 so I know that works.  I usually just transfer the gcode over memory cards from my desktop host.  I run freeCAD, slic3r, lightburn all in a VM (I don't trust appimages etc) on my desktop to do the design work.  I have cura but I haven't tried to connect it via usb yet.

--

...Bob