Re: going beyond a ch341 uart-usb convertor

On Monday 12 April 2021 09:17:11 Bob Weber wrote:

> On 4/11/21 23:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Building a design/builder for a 3d printer, which when a std usb to
> > printer cable is connected between the computer and the 3d printer,
> > Identifies as a ch341 convertor cable once it is plugged into the
> > printer.
> >
> > conman seems helpless, as does cutecom.
> >
> > cura has a monitor that can drive an ender 3 over this same cable
> > but I've not been able to establish a connection to cura, for
> > whatever reason.
> >
> > Perhaps conman or cutecom is not the correct way to do it. IDK, and
> > the docs for this printer are as non-existant as the chinese company
> > that made it. Its labeled as a NEWEREAL M-18-S, and is nearly twice
> > as big as an ender 3. Work envelope is 310x310x400mm, and is the
> > same bed-slinger style as an ender 3.
> >
> > What would the next thing to try and discover why its not working?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I have used putty to connect to my ender 3 and a CNC3-3018.  I used
> /dev/ttyUSB0, 115200 baud and type serial.  Its half duplex so you
> don't see what you type unless you turn on echo mode.  As mentioned
> before you need to be in the dialout group for this to work.  I have
> connected bCNC to the 3018 so I know that works.  I usually just
> transfer the gcode over memory cards from my desktop host.  I run
> freeCAD, slic3r, lightburn all in a VM (I don't trust appimages etc)
> on my desktop to do the design work.  I have cura but I haven't tried
> to connect it via usb yet.

That does work, AppImages work just fine, but my cabling is both long and
slow, so its not as usefull as I thought it would be.

Using AppImages of both openscad and cura, I've made ball bearing
assemblies nearly 6" in diameter, stuffed with neasrly 100 crosman BB's
for balls, they work very well indeed.  All to be part of a new design
of harmonic drive for some of my cnc controlled machines in the garage.

Clearly, I have too many expensive hobbies.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis