Re: ubuntu/snap future

On 4/9/21, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 04:15:07AM -0300, riveravaldez wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Trying to decide which is less-worse in a scenario of unavoidable
>> use of some of these.
>
> Is it really unavoidable? Or just a tad less convenient?

Well, that's a pretty subjective issue, to be honest... ;)

> Can you pose one concrete use case where it is unavoidable?

Not sure if *unavoidable* but I didn't found a better solution at the
time:
A client for which laptop I'd installed Debian was in job-need of
using Skype and Zoom. Her employers wouldn't use anything
else, so, I was looking for the better/safer way to install such damn
closed-source pieces of soft (in particular I hate Zoom, but that's
another subjective issue...) in a for anything else fully libre/secure
perfectly working Debian system.
I have no idea what the official .deb packages from Skype/Zoom
do, so, to minimize exposition and control-lost looked for an easy
way to 'enclose' what those programs could do, and opted finally
for Flatpak just to avoid any Canonical late-inconvenience...

While typing this I've checked and found that both Zoom and Skype
seem to offer through-browser video-call right now (Skype only for
Chrome, and I'm not sure if it works for Chromium). So, right now
this case only would be relevant for Skype let's say. (Anyway, I've
found that specific-application performance is usually superior that
through-browser performance when using video-calls, specially
notorious in old boxes.)

> This may sound as an attempt to troll.

Not coming from you, obviously. ^_^

> This is (by far) not my intention. I'd rather like to try to analyse
> the trade-offs based on that use case.

As any gentle and very intelligent person would do. Naturally.

> For example: would a more broad availability of backports reduce
> the need for snaps, flats or how they may be called?
>
> Such kind of questions.

Well, that's an excellent point, and I think that, in general, the answer
will be 'yes', at least thinking in the use of newer packages in Stable.
But I'm a Testing user, so, not sure if this assumption has any value.

In the other hand, for proprietary software -when unavoidable- what
would be better/simpler way to have it under control (if such thing is
somehow possible)?

> Cheers
>  - t

Thanks a lot for your answers and help. Regards!