Re: Temporary failure in name resolution

Alexander V. Makartsev on Sat, 3 Apr 2021 01:17:59 +0500 wrote:

>On 02.04.2021 22:56, Dan Norton wrote:
>> Alexander V. Makartsev wrote Wed, 31 Mar 2021 10:16:08 +0500:
>>
>> "Is "192.168.1.254" an IP address of your DSL modem?
>> If you don't need to resolve hostnames from you local network, like
>> "somepc1.attlocal.net" and only want to access the Internet, you can
>> configure one or more of the public DNS servers. From Google [1]:
>> 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
>> >From CloudFlare [2]:
>> 1.1.1.1"
>>
>> I don't know. I did not put that line in /etc/resolv.conf. When I get
>> more time I may remove it and see what happens.
>>
> If you didn't put that line in /etc/resolv.conf, then probably it was
> configured by DHCP client, which used the information send by your DSL
> modem. That would explain "attlocal.net" lines. Do you have
> administrative access to your DSL modem's configuration web interface?
> Or is it a leased device that was configured by your ISP and you don't
> have the option to configure it?

It is a leased device. I have spent lots of quality time with my ISP,
repeating the name resolution story to 4 support reps. Finally they had
AT&T look at my connection and found that although it is currently
working, "the downstream margin is low (< 15db) and a bridge tap needs
to be removed." according to AT&T. This state of things is with:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain attlocal.net
search attlocal.net
nameserver 192.168.1.254

which is as it was before the name resolution problem occurred and not
immutable.

Earlier, in the OP I wrote:
>> # systemctl status systemd-resolved
>> shows it being active and "Processing requests...".

This a mistake I made. Early on in an effort to get name resolution, I
had enabled systemd-resolved, which did not help, and I forgot to
return it to disabled.

> If you have the access to DSL modem, you can configure its DHCP server
> to always send proper DNS server addresses, like "1.1.1.1", "8.8.8.8",
> instead of "192.168.1.254". Alternatively, and if you don't have the
> access to DSL modem, you can modify "dhclient.conf" file to
> effectively
> override name server addresses sent by your modem with known good
> ones.
> This procedure is described in Debian Wiki. [1] Basically, all you
> have
> to do is add at the end of the file this string: supersede
> domain-name-servers 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4;

> [1]https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf#Modifying_.2Fetc.2Fdhcp.2Fdhclient.conf

After the AT&T tech does his thing tomorrow, I plan to add

supersede domain-name-servers 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1;

to resolv.conf. Until then I want things to be unchanged from the 10.9
upgrade.

No one else is reporting this exact problem so I believe that the
problem and the upgrade were coincidental and nothing needs to
change in 10.9 to correct "Temporary failure in name resolution."

Thanks, Alexander.

 - Dan