Re: Converting markdown to PDF

Paul M Foster writes:

I'm trying to use pandoc to convert markdown files to PDF. But when I try,
pandoc dumps out with an error that it needs "pdflatex" or some other
similar converter to do its job. No such "pdflatex" package exists in the
Buster stable archives. I'm sure something does this, but I don't know what
it is. Does anyone else know?

pdflatex is provided by package texlive-latex-base.

Some hints about which packages might be needed can be seen in pandoc's "Suggests":

~$ aptitude show pandoc
Package: pandoc
[...]
Suggests: texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-xetex, texlive-luatex,
         pandoc-citeproc, texlive-latex-extra, context, wkhtmltopdf,
         librsvg2-bin, groff, ghc, nodejs, php, perl, python, ruby,
         r-base-core, libjs-mathjax, node-katex
[...]

I personally have the following texlive packages installed:

~$ aptitude search ~itexlive
i A texlive                         - TeX Live: A decent selection of the TeX Li
i A texlive-base - TeX Live: Essential programs and files i A texlive-binaries - Binaries for TeX Live i A texlive-extra-utils - TeX Live: TeX auxiliary programs i A texlive-font-utils - TeX Live: Graphics and font utilities i A texlive-fonts-extra - TeX Live: Additional fonts i A texlive-fonts-extra-links - TeX Live: i A texlive-fonts-recommended - TeX Live: Recommended fonts i A texlive-games - TeX Live: Games typesetting i A texlive-generic-extra - TeX Live: transitional dummy package i A texlive-generic-recommended - TeX Live: transitional dummy package i A texlive-lang-german - TeX Live: German i A texlive-lang-greek - TeX Live: Greek i A texlive-latex-base - TeX Live: LaTeX fundamental packages i A texlive-latex-extra - TeX Live: LaTeX additional packages i A texlive-latex-recommended - TeX Live: LaTeX recommended packages i A texlive-pictures - TeX Live: Graphics, pictures, diagrams i A texlive-plain-generic - TeX Live: Plain (La)TeX packages i A texlive-pstricks - TeX Live: PSTricks i A texlive-science - TeX Live: Mathematics, natural sciences, c

I am pretty sure that not all of them are needed. It might be sufficient to begin with `texlive-latex-base` and only install others if pandoc keeps complaining.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö