Re: Converting markdown to PDF

On Thu 01 Apr 2021 at 17:22:31 (-0400), Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 09:41:30PM +0100, Tixy wrote:
> > On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 16:34 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > > I'm trying to use pandoc to convert markdown files to PDF. But when I
> > > try,
> > > pandoc dumps out with an error that it needs "pdflatex" or some other
> > > similar converter to do its job. No such "pdflatex" package exists in
> > > the
> > > Buster stable archives. I'm sure something does this, but I don't
> > > know what
> > > it is. Does anyone else know?
> > >

> > I just Google "debian pdflatex" and the top hit was Debian's search
> > page...
> >
> > https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=pdflatex
> >
> > I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give an example of how the
> > search can be done from a commandline using Debian's packaging tools or
> > similar... :-)
>
> Cute but uncalled for. To wit...

In view of what you tried to install, I can only assume that you
didn't actually visit the link, which would give you the name of the
package within the following list:

  You have searched for paths that end with pdflatex in suite buster,
  all sections, and all architectures. Found 8 results.

  File  Packages
  /usr/bin/bg5+pdflatex  latex-cjk-chinese
  /usr/bin/bg5pdflatex   latex-cjk-chinese
  /usr/bin/cef5pdflatex  latex-cjk-chinese
  /usr/bin/cefpdflatex   latex-cjk-chinese
  /usr/bin/cefspdflatex  latex-cjk-chinese
  /usr/bin/gbkpdflatex   latex-cjk-chinese
  /usr/bin/pdflatex      texlive-latex-base   ←
  /usr/bin/sjispdflatex  latex-cjk-japanese

In any case, you might bookmark https://packages.debian.org/,
which gives you the wherewithal to construct your own searches.

On Thu 01 Apr 2021 at 17:45:03 (-0400), Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 10:46:09PM +0200, Linux-Fan wrote:
> > Paul M Foster writes:
> >
> > > I'm trying to use pandoc to convert markdown files to PDF. But when I try,
> > > pandoc dumps out with an error that it needs "pdflatex" or some other
> > > similar converter to do its job. No such "pdflatex" package exists in the
> > > Buster stable archives. I'm sure something does this, but I don't know what
> > > it is. Does anyone else know?
> >
> > pdflatex is provided by package texlive-latex-base.
> >
> > Some hints about which packages might be needed can be seen in pandoc's
> > "Suggests":
> >
> > ~$ aptitude show pandoc
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanks. When I used "-t latex" and tried outputting to PDF after installing
> some of these dependencies, I did get a PDF. Unfortunately, it looks about
> as horrible as most LaTeX docs. I'll keep tweaking it.

I assume that using   -o foo.pdf   doesn't produce what you want, so
is it the LaTeX code that you're tweaking, or the original markdown?

Cheers,
David.