Re: Possible?! A Debian public repository for all complex code lines with examples and scripts?

On 26/03/2021 16:59, Dan Ritter wrote:
George Shuklin wrote:
But it's all software. Debian can't change sh to be 'not sh'. And any
changes in a build stack are touching vast amount of software with extremely
complex use-cases, so it's almost impossible to 'replace'. You can 'add' a
new one, but it just make xkcd #927.
To be completely clear, Debian did change sh from Bourne-ish sh
to dash in Squeeze -- 2006 or so.

Thank you for clarification. My point was that 'sh' approach (including bash and dash) is really, really bad. Bash as a programming language is super tricky, with lots of landmines and almost no validation whatsoever for errors (there is a bit, but way less than expected from any modern system language).

I use a lot of Debian packaging in proprietary settings (sigh, I get paid for this), and it's love-hate relationship. I love that I can do whatever I need to; I hate those implicit magic rules and obscure environment variables.