Re: `apt list` output question

IL Ka wrote:

> > What is the meaning of the "stable,now" string?
>
> Here are two answers from the Debian developer
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/408944/understanding-apt-list-output
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/403177/what-is-the-format-of-the-apt-search-output-on-debian-ubuntu

Thank you for the links. It is strange however that this has to be
documented somewhere in stackexchange, not in any official
documentation.

> Btw, "apt" output is not stable nor well documented. It is recommended to
> use "apt-get" for the scripting purposes or, in your case, "dpkg --list" or
> "dpkg-query".

Oh no, my case is the purely interactive use of "apt". I have noticed
that this suffix can be used interactively:

# apt install yamllint/foobar
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Release 'foobar' for 'yamllint' was not found

# apt install yamllint/buster
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Selected version '1.15.0-1' (Debian:10.9/stable [all]) for 'yamllint'

I just don't quite understand how this can be put to good use.

But at least I know now what the "unknown" suffix means:
When you see unknown, that means the repository doesn’t have a "Suite"
entry in its Release file.

It's also confusing that the suffix shows "stable" while in fact I'm
tracking "buster" and have no intention to track "stable".
Indeed "apt-cache policy yamllint" shows
"500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages", that is
"buster", not "stable" as in "apt list" output.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/