Re: Dell R440 with Debian 10.7.0 Display Issues

On Sat 27 Mar 2021 at 09:04:14 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 11:40:53PM +0000, Brian wrote:

> > > If the necessary firmware is installed by the installer, the chance of
> > > a video problem is reduced.  No guarantees, though.
> >
> > Under what circumstances does d-i install non-free packages related
> > to video hardware and at what stage of the installation does it occur?
>
> Perhaps one of those modules [1] needing firmware?
>
> Note that Greg said, and re-iterated that it /could/ be due to that.
> It doesn't have to. Some external hardware wants its firmware loaded,
> and might refuse to talk to the kernel driver otherwise (or will appear
> in a "minimal", degraded variant). This applies to GPUs, too.

I did previously note the reiteration and acknowledge that video
hardware could require non-free firmware. However, does a d-i carrying
such firmware ever make any attempt to install it? As I understand it,
the installer is designed to probe for and load non-free firmware for
network hardware only.
__
Brian.