Re: Dell R440 with Debian 10.7.0 Display Issues

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 02:07:26PM -0500, Doug Windle wrote:
> I have new in box Dell R440 that I am trying to install Debian 10.7.0.  The
> install process of Debian goes fine until after reboot.  After the OS
> install and upon reboot/startup of OS with GNOME I get a tearing/scrambling
> of the local display.  The local display works fine thru the startup of the
> Dell hardware (I get the Dell splash screen with boot up options and
> progress bar) and thru the installation process and only fails after the OS
> starts.

Issues with video chipset drivers/firmware are extremely common, especially
if one installed with the "official" images, rather than the "unofficial"
ones which contain non-free firmware.

Start by identifying your video chipset.  Use lspci -nn for this, because
it gives you the 8-digit PCI ID number (e.g. [8086:5912]).  You can often
google for that ID number, together with keywords like "debian" or "linux",
to get an installation report from someone else who has used similar
hardware.

Also see whether the kernel is trying to load firmware, and not finding
it.  dmesg | grep -i firmware   should give you the exact filenames of
any firmware files that are missing.  You can use apt-file or
packages.debian.org to track down which package(s) contain those files.
Install the packages, and reboot.

(You may need to add contrib non-free to your sources.list, and apt update.)

If installing firmware doesn't solve the problem, then you might need
some kind of nvidia driver.  There are instructions for nvidia chipsets
on the wiki.  Or you can just post here with your chipset info (just
copy the whole line from lspci -nn) and someone will probably know what
to do with it.