Re: Debian Stable Updates Announcement SUA 197-1

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 10:40:01AM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 3/23/21 9:44 AM, David Wright wrote:

> > Actually I thought David wanted to do what I did, which is *not* to add
> > buster-proposed-updates to his sources.list, but just to poke around.
>
> I was curious about the opportunity to evaluate point upgrades prior to
> release.
>

> > With good reason: ISTR that David runs his farm of machines on stretch.
>
> I use Stretch for my daily driver laptop (Dell Latitude E6520) and UniFi
> Controller VPS.  I also have a Stretch USB flash drive instance for
> maintenance.  I use FreeBSD for my servers.  I need to migrate the daily
> driver to Buster, but Buster does not like the Optimus graphics in the
> E6520.  So, the plan is to sell the E6520, get a newer laptop with Intel
> graphics alone, put Buster on that, and migrate.  Migrating the VPS will
> likely involve backing up the existing instance, creating or leasing a new
> UniFi Controller instance, restoring onto the new instance, and then
> switching DNS.  Creating a Buster USB flash drive instance should be easy.

Have you tried installing the optimus under Buster - it's not as
straightforward as the standard install but there's a couple of steps
that will make it work. The main trick is to make sure that nvidia drivers
are never loaded until the point at which you've got everythng else
configured.