Re: Debian Stable Updates Announcement SUA 197-1

On 3/23/21 9:44 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Tue 23 Mar 2021 at 07:52:52 (-0400), The Wanderer wrote:
On 2021-03-23 at 07:43, Greg Wooledge wrote:

I think the request was really "Please tell us how to use this
buster-proposed-updates thing, which I've never heard of before."

Actually I thought David wanted to do what I did, which is *not* to add
buster-proposed-updates to his sources.list, but just to poke around.

I was curious about the opportunity to evaluate point upgrades prior to release.

With good reason: ISTR that David runs his farm of machines on stretch.

I use Stretch for my daily driver laptop (Dell Latitude E6520) and UniFi Controller VPS. I also have a Stretch USB flash drive instance for maintenance. I use FreeBSD for my servers. I need to migrate the daily driver to Buster, but Buster does not like the Optimus graphics in the E6520. So, the plan is to sell the E6520, get a newer laptop with Intel graphics alone, put Buster on that, and migrate. Migrating the VPS will likely involve backing up the existing instance, creating or leasing a new UniFi Controller instance, restoring onto the new instance, and then switching DNS. Creating a Buster USB flash drive instance should be easy.

I didn't think anyone would miss the pattern in sources.list's buster,
buster-updates, buster-proposed-updates.

I have seen "buster" and "buster-updates" (and prior equivalents), but never "buster-proposed-updates".

However, I was unprepared for David's response today, of going back
to square one.

A fresh install of the current Stable point release would be the canonical starting point for testing proposed Stable point release updates. This is an ideal use-case for virtualization.

David