Re: WiFi Hardware not detected, during Debian NetInst Install

On Mon 22 Mar 2021 at 09:39:54 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 21 Mar 2021 at 21:48:30 (-0400), Kenneth Parker wrote:

> > > Does the installer said missing firmware? or nothing at all?
> > >
> > It sits for, about a minute in the "Detect Network Hardware" step.  Then,
> > when it continues, only the Ethernet Port is detected.  It does not, even
> > *ask* about Firmware.   So, nothing at all.
> >
> > So, for my purposes, install without network is the best that I can do.
> > And then, in the running system, install the Firmware.
>
> So I assume that the running system finds the modules, loads them and
> also some firmware for them (perhaps even rtl8723defw.bin?), yes?
>
> If so, then it's worth knowing what the installer found. The file on
> your installed system /var/log/installer/hardware-summary has its
> lsmod output in the third section, after lspci and usb-list.
>
> If they're found, then /var/log/installer/syslog (considerably larger)
> should show the module (the rtlNNNN one) being loaded, followed by the
> firmware. If you saw no messages on the console, then it's perfectly
> possible that the module and its firmware were found and loaded
> successfully, but they just didn't make the wifi work, which would be
> a completely different bug.
>
> If you've time to spare, you could of course retry the installer
> *without* the firmware on a stick, deliberately provoking the module
> (if it gets loaded) to complain. These "forensic" observations would
> narrow the scope of potential bugs.

All good advice. I think the modules that should be loaded are
rtw88_8723de, rtw88_8723d, rtw88_core and rtw88_pci. After doing
the "Detect Network Hardware" step the OP could use 'lsmod' in a
console.

The buster d-i kernel does not have these modules.

--
Brian.