Re: WiFi Hardware not detected, during Debian NetInst Install

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021, 9:24 PM Robbi Nespu <robbinespu@gmail.com> wrote:
On 22/3/2021 6:27 am, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Later this week, I will be helping a friend install Debian onto a Lenovo
> Ideapad Laptop.  This will be in a Public Space with, only WiFi available.
>
> Both his Lenovo, and my HP Laptop have the same WiFi hardware, found via
> a "lspci" command:
>
>  > Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723DE
> 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter
>
> So, to ensure that we can complete the Install, I wanted to test, using,
> first a Debian Bullseye Netinst CD and, when it failed, a Debian Buster
> 10.3 NetInst CD.
>
> In both cases, I used my favorite, Text / Expert Install (but also tried
> Bullseye with the "normal" Text Install).  it gets to the step, to find,
> and configure the Network, but only finds the Ethernet Port which, for
> the purposes of my test, has no Cable attached.  So, obviously, the
> Network Configuration fails!
>
> I was ready for it to Find the WiFi, and had, in advance, populated the
> /firmware directory of a USB Thumbdrive, but it never gets to the step,
> where it is asking for it.
>
> Any Insights?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kenneth Parker
Does the installer said missing firmware? or nothing at all?

It sits for, about a minute in the "Detect Network Hardware" step.  Then, when it continues, only the Ethernet Port is detected.  It does not, even *ask* about Firmware.   So, nothing at all.

if the installer said missing firmware, you may take look my previous
thread[2]  (my solution are here[2])

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/02/msg00727.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/02/msg00766.html

So, for my purposes, install without network is the best that I can do.  And then, in the running system, install the Firmware.

Thanks!

Kenneth Parker